Warehousing used to take much time and effort to organize goods and information about them, but things have recently changed. In recent years, warehouse applications have gained immense popularity, allowing you to work with products more efficiently.
Reading this article, you will learn the types of such apps, their technologies, and the usefulness of developing such solutions.
Table of Contents
Let’s begin by exploring modern technologies used in warehouse software.
Barcodes and QR codes
This is the best invention for auditing and tracking goods’ movement. Scanning codes significantly simplified this process. Using the camera, you may see all the details about particular goods like their origin and class, quantity, price, and others.
A technology that operates electronic labels. The identification principle is similar to codes, but unlike them, RFID does not demand closeness and direct visual contact.
Any tracker like GPS gives the ability to monitor a good’s current location and conditions. Also, this technology may be used to navigate the storage and easily find a particular product.
Includes technologies related to voice control, such as receiving instructions from an application using headphones or entering data with a microphone.
You can use different machines for routine work, like sorting, bagging, etc. They can be controlled with the apps.
Helps to simplify access to information for all employees significantly and saves much more.
It is also noteworthy that most warehouse enterprises use tablets for work, so it’s better to consider the possibility of developing an application specifically for this screen version.
Technologies actively enter all industries: we see how mixed reality in agriculture, IoT in medicine, and others are developing. Logistics does not lag behind the rest: software solutions are actively used in managing supply chains and warehouses. Anyway, let’s look at some examples of the most successful solutions.
Dock Door Scheduler. Reduces the cost and efficiency of deliveries by automatized supply chain planning, orders, and tracking.
Smart warehouse management system. A technology similar to the well-known smart house allows you to handle your warehouse effectively, increase productivity and reduce administration costs.
Visual Warehouse. An administrating system allows you to effectively and conveniently oversee the arrival of goods and their shipment and stock quantity.
Enterprise resource planning. An open-source system lets you easily integrate with an existing CRM and customize everything for yourself.
On-demand warehouse. Service to search for approachable storage facilities nearby.
Warehousing uses different types of apps. The most common are the following:
- Supervisors’ apps — include code scanners, order and stock management, and daily/weekly/monthly statistics.
- Apps for goods management — help control and track baggage movement, plan loading, and unloading.
- Audit applications — their primary function is barcode scanning for inventory; they can also generate reports based on incoming data.
- Asset Monitoring Apps — the cloud makes it manageable to control all available assets and track their location.
You may choose extant solutions or create your app according to your necessities.
How to Create a Warehouse App?
So you decided to make your warehouse app. However, before you hire a programmer, you should carefully consider the following points:
- The approximate number of users and their access level
- The capacity of your future app depends on the company’s extent
- Determine the planned development funding — it will depend on the app’s complexity
After these requirements are formed, you can delve into planning the detailed features and design of the app and share all the project details with an experienced software vendor. After that, the app has to go through several steps, which are:
- Approving project details and getting through the Discovery phase
- Creating the interface of the future app with UI/UX designers
- Developing an app with a team of programmers
- QA testing to find possible errors and do the bug fixing
- Releasing an app (and further support)
After the app is deployed, cooperation with your software provider should be continued to update and maintain your project.
Now let’s discuss what benefits you get from developing a warehouse app:
- You will improve efficiency by automating routine tasks. Automation will also help to avoid possible mistakes caused by the human factor.
- Real-time reports will help track the shipment and make deliveries faster and more efficiently, increasing sales.
- Developing apps and involving machines to perform routine work will also help significantly increase some tasks’ speed and lower the number of employees and salary costs.
Moreover, developing your app makes the warehouse more modern and technological. Therefore, you can update it and expand automation further.
Warehouse apps are the new trend. As a result, more companies have created their applications. Initially, it requires some investment, but its benefits attract entrepreneurs. So, if you don’t want to be left behind, consider building your software today and using technology to outperform your competitors tomorrow.