The aim of our project is to design and fabricate a pneumatically operated multipurpose grinder. With this device a number of operations can be performed. They are as follows:
1. Grinding (Soft and Hard)
5. Screw driving
This device is operated by compressed air. It consists of the following main parts.
3. Frame and supporting column
4. Chuck and key
5. Couplings, etc.
A high pressure compressed air is forced on a fan and the fan is made to rotate. This rotation is transmitted to the machining head by a shaft and the required operation is carried out. Further if a hole is to be drilled in a part in an automobile, the particular part is to be dismantled from the vehicle. By using this pneumatically operated device holes can be drilled in the required part with one dismantling it from the vehicle.
So this pneumatically operated multi purpose grinder is used for various operations with a less amount of investment.
The project work subject is one, in which actually we are leaning the theoretical concepts in practical way. Also the practical experience is one of the aims of this subject. For a developing industry these operating performed and the parts or components produced should have its minimum possible production cost, then only the industry runs profitably. There are a number of units having used in industries for various purposes.
For our thought the various project name are given below.
1. Pedaling sheet meal cutter.
2. Pneumatic multi purpose device.
3. Versa mill.
4. Paint mixer
5. Mechanical Jack.
From the above we selected ‘PNEUMATIC MULTI PURPOSE GRINDER’. In small scale Industries and automobile maintenance shops, there are frequent needs of tightening and loosening of screws, Drilling, Boring, Grinding, etc. Huge and complicate designed parts can not be machined in ordinary machines. Further for every operation separate machine is required. This increases the initial cost required, large area requirements and a large number of machines are required.
The pneumatic multi purpose grinder is an air operated device used for many small operations. It is a portable one. Compressed air is the source of energy for this device. The compressed air is allowed through the nozzle in such a way to rotate to fan. The rotation obtained is utilized for machining.
The nozzles are welded to the barrel at an angle to facilitate free rotation. The fan can be rotated in either direction by operating the one way corks. The rpm and torque of the shaft depends upon the pressure of the air admitted so by varying the pressure the rpm and torque can be varied. The parts are interred connected by thick tubes. Clamps are used at the connecting parts to prevent leakage.
In threaded parts thread seals are used to prevent leakage. Here the compressed air from the compressor firstly enters the control unit. In the control unit the pressure of the air is controlled and sent to the barrel to rotate the fan in any one direction. The air from the compressor enters the gate valve. The gate valve controls the pressure and volume of air. Then the pressure is read by a pressure gauge. Then the air is admitted to the barrel through any one of the two one way corks to rotate fan. In the barrel, a shaft is placed and if carries the fan. The shaft is supported in either and by bearings. The bearings are placed in the couplings, which covers the ends of barrel.
This multipurpose grinder has a numerous applications in various fields. In industries, this is used in assembly section. The required pressure is set and the operation is carried out. In automobile shops various operations are required frequently Drilling, boring, reaming, grinding etc. It is also used as a screw driver for tightening and loosening nuts and bolts. It is used.
1. In automobile workshops
2. In small scale industries
3. In such places where frequent changes in operations are required
4. In welding shops for grinding.
For performing operations in huge parts which can not be done in ordinary machines, since it is portable.
The pneumatically operated multi purpose grinder has many advantages. They are as follows:
1. Low cost, so it can be used in small scale industries.
2. Higher rate and quicker operations
3. A number of operations like (drilling), screw driving, reaming etc., can be done.
4. The nuts and bolts can be tightened to a particular pressure by operating the gate valve placed in the control unit and the pressure gauge.
5. Both loosening and tightening is possible. Since there is air flow in both directions.
6. The weight of the unit is less and can be easily handled.
7. Efficient operation. Since if does not require any electricity for running.
8. The weight of the machine is concentrated towards the machining head to facilitate easy manipulation of the machining.
9. The design is simple and there is no maintenance required. The control valve for allowing or restricting air may be placed on handle to make easier to control the speed of the machine.
10. The maximum rpm of the unit of the unit is 7000 rpm. The speed provides a torque which is suitable for machining. The maximum pressure that can be used is 7 kg km². The rpm and torque can be varied by varying the pressure of the air inlet.
1. Initial cost is high
2. Spindle rotation is pneumatic power, so this machine having low torque
3. Need a separate compressor.