POWER GENERATION USING SPEED BREAKERS PROJECT REPORT & PPT | We Mechanical farm provide the widest list of projects for Mechanical and Automobile Engineering/Diploma to help students, researchers & engineers in their R&D. Also, we have a great variety of pre-made project kits using hydraulics, gears, energy generation systems for you to use in your projects.
Using speed bump for power generation by using gear arrangement and electronics gadgets. Large amounts amount of electricity can be generated saving lot of money. And if implemented will be very beneficial for Government. When vehicle is in motion it produces various forms of energy like, due to friction between vehicle’s wheel and road i.e. rough surface HEAT Energy is produced, also when vehicle traveling at high speed strikes the wind. The principle involved is POTENTIAL ENERGY TO ELECTRICAL ENERGY CONVERSION.
There is a system to generate power by converting the potential energy generated by a vehicle going up on a speed breaker into kinetic energy. When the vehicle moves over the inclined plates, it gains height resulting in increase in potential energy, which is wasted in a conventional rumble strip. When the breaker comes down, they crank a lever fitted to a ratchet-wheel type mechanism (a angular motion converter) which in turn rotates a geared shaft loaded with recoil springs. The output of this shaft is coupled to a dynamo to convert kinetic energy into electricity. This is the short process for Electrical power generation through speed breaker.
HOW MUCH POWER CAN BE GENERATED ?? “A vehicle weighing 1,000 kg going up a height of 10 cm on such a rumble strip produces approximately 0.0098 kilowatt power.
BASIC PRINCIPLES of POWER GENERATION USING SPEED BREAKERS
- simple energy conversion from mechanical to electrical.
- To generate electricity using the vehicle kinetic energy as input
- Power generation using speed breakers and efficient use of energy
- They are using 3 different mechanisms:
- Roller mechanism
- Rack- Pinion mechanism
- Crank-shaft mechanism
There are three basic mechanisms involved in power generation using speed breakers
- Roller mechanism
- Rack and pinion mechanism
- Crank shaft mechanism
Advantages of Electricity Generation by Speed Breaker:
- Low budget electricity production
- Less floor area
- No obstruction to traffic
- Easy maintenance
- Suitable at parking of multiplexes, malls, toll booths, signals, etc.
- Uses: Charging batteries and using them to light up the streets, etc
Disadvantages of power generation through speed breakerS
- Selecting suitable generator.
- Selection of springs.
- Achieving proper balance of speed and torque.
- It gives low electric output
FUTURE SCOPE OF POWER GENERATION USING SPEED BREAKERS
- Such speed breakers can be designed for heavy vehicles, thus increasing input torque and ultimately output of generator.
- More suitable and compact mechanisms to enhance efficiency.
- A survey on the energy consumption in India had published a pathetic report that 85,000 villages in India do not still have electricity. Supply of power in most of the country is poor. Hence more research and development of technologies are needed in this field. This energy can be used for the lights on the either sides of the roads and thus power that is consumed by these lights can be utilized to send power to these villages.
- It may also be used for light vehicle also.
As day by day power consumption increases but electric crisis occur. So the minor needs of electricity such as street lights and traffic signals can be generated from speed breakers. Instead of wasting kinetic energy of vehicles at speed breakers the minor needs can be met by converting kinetic energy to electrical energy.